Young ‘Foss Reserves make cup history but fall short in Final defeat

Young ‘Foss Reserves make history but fall short in Final defeat

Wilberfoss AFC Reserves travelled to Huntington Rovers home ground on Tuesday night to face Church Fenton in the League Reserve Cup Final. Foss’ had made their way to final overcoming many team in leagues above and again came up against opponents two leagues above. They knew it was an achievement just to have received the final but were looking to go one step further and pick up some silverware for the season.

The game started at a fast pace with both teams looking to gain the upper hand in the final. It was Church Fenton who managed to get an opportunity to take the lead when a ball over the top saw their striker go through on goal one on one. As he knocked the ball round the keeper Hendry brought him down as the referee pointed to the spot. even though Hendry dived the right way the ball was out of his reach giving Fenton the lead.  It was soon 2-0 when a long throw-in somehow found its way over the top of all players and landed at the feet of an unmarked Fenton player who simply passed the ball into the net.

As the first half grew on Foss’ gained more of a foothold in the game and after a nice piece of passing play the found the ball its way to Wormesley on the left to deliver and his ball found the on rushing Webster who headed the ball home to pick up his first senior goal and bring the deficit to one. On the stroke of half time ‘Foss gave away a soft free-kick  20 yards from goal. The ball in was flicked on and deflected off a Foss’ defender before finding its way past Hendry and into the net to give Fenton their two goal lead again at half-time.

Starting the second half Foss’ knew they had to score an early goal to put pressure on their opponents and it wasn’t until the 70th minute until another goal would be scored. This unfortunately didn’t go Foss’ way as they pushed forward Fenton sent another ball over the top and just as Wormesley looked to have dealt with the ball it bounced up off his shin onto the post and into the net. This killed the game off as a tie and now all Foss’ could do was battle for pride but as they stretched the game it only gave Fenton more chances to increase their lead which they took advantage of as the game finished 6-1.

After the game all players were down after such a disappointing end to the season but Manager Paul Jacques made clear that just to have ended their season in the Final of the cup and become the first Reserve C side in history to have reached such a game they should hold their heads high and be proud of the season they have had. He was hoping that all players would stick together and grow on from this seasons success’.