Young Reserves take a point in 8 goal thriller

Young Reserves take a point in 8 goal thriller

Wilberfoss AFC Reserves 4-4 Heworth Green Reserves

Wilberfoss AFC Reserves welcomed Heworth Green Reserves to the Storking Lane Ground on Saturday knowing they were in for a tough game with Heworth needing to win every game to be promoted and winning the reverse fixture 8-1.

With manager Paul Jacques away on holiday stand-in manager David Laverack only had 13 players to choose from with 5 of those players from the u19s squad making the squads average age 19 yo. Foss’ started brightly controlling the early possession and the first two chances fell to striker Dodds as he looked to increase his goal tally for the season but Heworth’s ‘keeper produced some impressive saves to keep the score level. Against the run of play it was the away side who took the lead when a weak back pass was intercepted by Heworth’s No.9 and slotted past ‘keeper Hendry. Again Foss’ went back on the attack knowing they didn’t deserve to be trailing and with Dodds sent through by Alex Zachouriou for his 3rd chance of the game he made no mistake placing the ball into the corner of the net to draw the teams level.

As the half went on Heworth gained a throw-in in what seemed a harmless situation but when the away sides No.9 took one touch to turn he managed to somehow glide past 5 Foss’ players and slot the ball into the net to give them the lead again. Within a matter of minutes Foss’ forced a corner and with the wind swirling down the ground Laverack delivered the ball into the back post and with the away side not dealing with the ball in Sam Gibney was on the spot to tap home to draw the home side level. With 10 minutes left of the first half Dodds gained a free-kick 30 yards out with the away side feeling it was a very soft free-kick to give. With the wind behind him Laverack decided to have a go and try test the ‘keeper. Stroke well it look as if the ‘keeper would save the effort but could only tip it onto the bar which then bounced down over the line to give Foss’ the lead for the first time in the game going into half-time.

At the break all players expressed how they had to stay calm and get the next goal to put the pressure on Heworth who were already cracking up the pressure of needing to win.

As the second half started Heworth came out the blocks and began to play the sort of football they had done in the first game. As Heworth’s left back picked up the ball and gained yards into Foss’ half and lofted the ball forward which looked to have been dealt with but Heworth’s No.9 somehow nipped in to pass the ball into an empty net. With the scores level it was only a matter of minutes when the wind played a part in another goal. As Heworth gained a corner the ball in looked to be going over and wide before the wind took the ball and made it dip in at the back post straight in giving the away side a 4-3 lead.

As the game went on Foss’ made changes bringing on both subs for D.Gibney and O.Jacques. It was the first substitute who made the biggest impact as he chased down a ball and didn’t give the defenders a moments rest and managed to knick the ball away and guide the ball home to draw the teams level. As the game went on both teams had good chances to take the lead again but neither team was able to covert. The game drew to an end with Foss’ the most frustrated at drawing after the amount of chances they had missed throughout the game.

Stand in manager Laverack said he was pleased with every single players performance and was impressed to see all 5 u-19 players come in and perform at the level they did against a team who were very physical throughout.

MOM – Hard one to choose but Captain Cappleman went for David Laverack for his goal and constant deliveries all afternoon creating chances for the team.