Hat Trick Houlder steals the show

Hat Trick Houlder steals the show

Wilberfoss AFC Reserves 5-3 Malt Shovel Reserves

Wilberfoss AFC Reserves welcomed Malt Shovel to the Storking Lane ground on Saturday in the First Round of the cup looking to make it two wins out of three against their opponents who had both won their home ties in the league encounters.

Again the Reserves found themselves short on players as the season neared it end having to start with bare 11 players. ‘Foss started brightly controlling the opening stages of the game and managed to create a few early chances but didn’t test the keeper. It took 20 minutes before the deadlock was broken when Sly Houlder was released through the middle and turned his defender and fired the ball past the goalkeeper. The half carried on with ‘Foss creating chances but poor finishing stopped them from increasing their lead whilst O.Jacques, Cappleman, Drydal and Laverack controlled a well drilled back line stopping Shovel having any chances to draw level.

The home side came into half-time with their 1-0 lead and knew they must put there chances away and make sure the game is put to bed as with Manager Paul Jacques away and no subs the away would have momentum as they tired.

The home sides plans didn’t work out when Shovel gained a corner 10 minutes into the second half and as the ball in was cleared it fell to their striker stood on edge of the box who found time and space to fire the ball back past ‘keeper Hendry to equalise. It didn’t take the ‘Foss long before they managed to regain the lead. Gibney was played through over the top and as he went to strike the ball he seemed to miskick the ball into the ground but as this bounced up it took the ‘keeper by surprise and looped over him and into the net. Within 5 minutes ‘Foss increased their lead to two goals when Laverack’s delivery from the corner picked out Houlder who spectacularly threw himself into the air and volleyed the ball into the roof of the net to make it 3-1.

As the game went on it was Shovel who gained more possession as the ‘Foss players legs started to tire and when a ball into the box found the onrushing players head he executed a great header down into the bottom corner. The games most controversial moment came with 8 minutes left when Shovels striker went through on goal and with skipper Cappleman pushing him wide of the goal he slide in to stop a cross which then hit him in the face. The referee deemed this to have hit his hand which caused Cappleman to talk himself into the book as he protested the decision. Shovels No.7 stepped up and sent ‘keeper Hendry the wrong way to draw the score level and look to send the game to penalties.

Once again ‘Foss came out of the traps looking for a winner which came within minutes as Gibney cut in from the left and as he approached the edge of the box curled the ball past the ‘keeper who was rooted to his spot and watched the ball into the bottom corner. Before the full-time whistle came it was ‘Foss who added to their tally to complete their progress into the next round. D.Jacques played Houlder through on goal who managed to dispatch over the ‘keeper with a delightful chip bringing his tally for the day to 3.

After the game players were happy to be in the last 16 of the cup and excitement rose when they found out they were the only team in their Division to progress meaning a challenge ahead in the next round. Stand in Manager David Laverack said he was happy to oversee a win in Paul Jacques’ absence and keep alive one last chance of silverware for the season.

MOM – Went to Sly Houlder who kept running up front on his own all day not giving the defenders a moments rest and helping himself to a well finished hat-trick