Tinson on target with last gasp winner.

Tinson on target with last gasp winner.

Civil Service 3-4 Wilberfoss AFC

Having been crowned league champions the week previous Wilberfoss AFC travelled to Civil Service, a team who had joined ‘Foss last season with promotion from Divison Three.

Andrew Palfreyman travelled with a depleted squad with a number of absentees. With a bare 11 ‘Foss started the game slowly with the hosts enjoying most of the ball in the early stages. ‘Foss weathered the early attacks as their reshuffled side gelled however it was the home team who took the lead. A questionable decision by the referee awarded a throw in to Civil Service and while the ‘Foss defenders were arguing the decision the home side took a quick throw in before Civil Service new signing Lloyd Crawford smashed the ball into the top right hand corner of the net. Further chances fell for the home team but they were unable to extend their lead as ‘Foss drew level. Paul King provided a superb diagonal ball to Matty Wain on the right wing and his pinpoint cross found Newby in the middle to make no mistake from 8 yards.

The East Yorkshiremen had a number of good chances to take the lead before the break with Booth, Newby and Wain all going close however the scores stayed level going into half time.

Wilberfoss started the second half brightly controlling the first 10 minutes of the half however without really troubling Goodwin in the Civil goal as the home side against the run of play restored their lead. ‘Foss fought back and within 8 minutes were level. Newby dispossessed the home side captain Kirby before playing and neat one-two with Tom Matthews before firing his side level. Minutes later ‘Foss took the lead. Matthews who was instrumental all day whipped in a corner and Howat rose to prod home his 2nd goal of the season. The goal seemed team to knock the home side as Palfreymans men started to control the midfield with King and Matthews dictating the pace. Chance after chance fell to the away side with King and Matthews spurning opportunities before Booth was brought down in the box only for the referee to give a foul against the ‘Foss forward. Matthews then saw a free kick cannon back off the back and scrabbled to safety. Moments later the home side were level a short back pass to Wetherall in goal made things difficult which resulted in his clearance striking the on rushing Civil forward rebounding into the net. There was a big suspicion that the ball had struck the forwards arm but nonetheless the goal was given.

(Pictured: 'Foss MOTM Paul King challenges the Civil Service No.3)

Credit to ‘Foss the goal did not prevent them going in search of a winner. Newby headed over from a tight angle following a cross from Booth. King saw effort clawed away by the impressive Goodwin before Matthews beat the Civil keeper but heroic defending cleared the ball off the line for a corner in the 90th minute. From the resulting Matthews corner the ball fell kindly for Rich Tinson 16 yards out who rifled home into the top right hand corner to seal the 3 points for ‘Foss.

After to game manager Andrew Palfreyman commented “Today’s been an interesting one. I’m very disappointed to only travel with 11 men and I had borrow one of those players last minute from the Reserves because of a no show. However credit to the lads they stuck at it, we showed great character to come from behind twice and a last minute winner is always nice. I thought on our second half displayed with just edged the game but Civil gave it a really good go”

MOM: Paul King – who controlled and dictated play from centre of midfield all game and was unlucky to not be on the score sheet.