Ollie Jacques fires ‘Foss Reserves to Victory

Ollie Jacques fires ‘Foss Reserves to Victory

Rufforth AFC Reserves 1-4 Wilberfoss AFC Reserves
Yew Tree Associates sponsored Wilberfoss AFC Reserves travelled to Rufforth AFC on Saturday looking to get back to winning ways in the league and brush aside last weeks performance.
Manager Paul Jacques welcomed back centre half pairing of James Haughian and Ian Cappleman and had Alex McCallum at his disposal upfront after having a run of games with the First Team. Foss’ started brightly having most of the possession in the first 10 minutes but not managing to create a clear cut chance. The first proper opportunity of the game fell to the home side when a long ball over the top found their striker with space to run in too but wasn’t able to beat ‘keeper Sam Hendry. With chances a plenty falling Foss’ way they knew they had to take advantage of the pressure and it showed when Mark Jones chased down a ball over the top and managed to beat the home sides ‘keeper to the ball and lifted it over him to give the away side the lead. After more pressure Foss’ managed to double their lead before half-time when Alex McCallum saw his free-kick saved but was then fumbled and with Joe Drydal reacting quicker to poke the ball home.
At half-time manager Paul Jacques made sure his team knew they had to put this game to bed before the home side got back into the game. At the start of the second half it was the away side who pushed forward looking to kill the game off but it was Rufforth who got themselves back into the game when an offside decision was not given which saw the whole Foss’ team amazed as their striker ran through and lifted the ball over Hendry into the net. Manager Jacques then made two changes with Laverack and Jones being withdrawn for Knowles and Jacques. It was the latter who had the biggest impact. When Sam Gibney managed to cut in from the right and picked out Jacques in acres of space as the keeper rushed out to close him down he calmly lifted the ball over him to restore Foss’ two goal lead. It only took him another 5 minutes before he was on a hat-trick as he cut in from the left and tee’d up Joe Drydal whose shot then somehow canned off Jacques who had fallen over after the pass which wrong footed the keeper and found its way into the back of the net.
As the game played out Foss’ could of increased their lead but ended up comfortably being on the right side of the shoreline 4-1. Manager Paul Jacques said after the game that he was pleased with the performance on an awful playing surface.
MOM – Ollie Jacques – Came on and settled the game with two goals.