Dominant ‘Foss Take Vital 3 Points in Promotion Push

Dominant ‘Foss Take Vital 3 Points in Promotion Push


Wilberfoss AFC 4 – 1 Civil Service

Wilberfoss AFC claimed a vital 3 points on Saturday as they welcomed fellow promotion hopefuls Civil Service to the Storking Lane Ground. Manager Andrew Palfreyman rang the changes following a disappointing cup performance the week previous. Howat, Wain, Condren & Lockwood all returned to the squad and new signing Liam Booth was given his first start after the late withdrawal of Tom Matthews.

‘Foss started brightly however as the Stroking Lane pitch cut up it was Civil Service who scored against the run of play. ‘Foss lost possession in their own half which allowed the Civil Service striker to break away and fire home. As the half wore on ‘Foss continued to dominate possession however the away side always looked dangerous on the counter attack. ‘Foss came close after 25 minutes when Paul Kings savage free keep rebounded off the bar with the keeper beaten. It took until the 43rd minute for the East Yorkshiremen to equalised when Tom Chelin played a neat pass into the feet of ‘Foss captain Oliver Newby who turned his man on the edge of the box before firing home into the bottom left hand corner. This was nothing less than Wilberfoss deserved however was their only real chance of the half.


At half time Jack Lockwood replaced Alex McCallum and made an instant impact with his direct style of play on the right wing. Paul King was then soon replaced due to injury being replaced by Matty Wain. It was the former who teased in a cross from the left hand side moments later which found the onrushing Mark Willoughby at the far post, but somehow Goodwin in the Civil goal managed to keep the net bound effort out with a superb save. He was at it again 5 minutes later again denying Willoughby before tipping a Newby effort onto the bar. However on 70 miutes ‘Foss were not to be denied when a free kick was curled in by Wain and the ball dropped kindly for Tom Chelin to sweep the ball home. 5 minutes later it was 3-1 when the Lockwood again beat the Service left back before unselfishly picking out Newby who finished for his 14th goal this season. Lockwood however was not to be denied as with 5 minutes to go he claimed the goal of the game. He dispossessed Caple the Civil Service left back before firing home an unstoppable shot, with strike flying past Goodwin at his near post into the top right hand corner to make it 4-1.

After game Palfreyman said “We dominated from start to finish, I was disappointed with the sloppy goal we gave away however we stuck to the task and go what we deserved. After the game their manager admitted we were too strong today and we were. Its a massive result for us which we must now take into next weeks game against Fulford.”


 MOM: Jack Condren – another commanding performance as he dominated the back four.