Dan’s Double inspires ‘Foss Reserves

Dan’s Double inspires ‘Foss Reserves


Fulford United Reserves 1 – 3 Wilberfoss AFC

Yew Tree Associate sponsored Wilberfoss AFC Reserves travelled to Fulford on Saturday looking to get back to winning ways in the league knowing their opponents hadn’t lost in 4 games and took points off table toppers the week before.

Manager Paul Jacques decided to bring in a change of tactics this week with the personnel he had available and went for a front 5 in an ‘arrow’ position.

‘Foss started brightly with once getting the ball down playing some good passing football with chances on goal not clear cut. After dominating possession and not managing to take one of their chances it was then Fulford who scored first in the game when a questionable offside decision was missed allowing the home sides striker to run through on goal and slot past keeper Hendry. It was only matter of minutes though before ‘Foss managed to get back level when O’Reilly won a free-kick on the edge of the box. Dan Jacques stepped up to fire the ball round the wall and into the bottom corner of the net giving the keeper no chance.

As the half wore on ‘Foss looked more solid at the back with them fielding the same back four of Wormsley, Haughian, Cappleman and Laverack for the 5th league game in a row. Giving the front 6 more freedom in the new formation and when ‘Foss gained another free-kick on the edge of the box again it was skipper Cappleman who managed to help himself to his 6th goal of the season. It came when a ball into the box by Gibney found O’Reilly who layed Cappleman off who dispatched the ball past the keeper. Going into half-time ‘Foss had the lead they deserved just knew they had to get the next goal to kill the game off and not let their opponents back into the game.

It was Fulford who started brighter in the second half but couldn’t create a clear cut chance. As the half went on ‘Foss couldn’t seem to put away their chances with most of the game being played in the home sides half. With Oxley and S.Gibney supporting O,’Reilly upfront whilst having Thompson and D.Gibney out wide they couldn’t seem to get a clear cut chance until ‘Foss gained another free-kick near the box. Having already scored once Jacques stepped up again and this time choose to go over the wall and with his attempt taking a slight deflection managed to find the back of the net again taking his tally for the day to two and nine for the season. As the game was played out Fulford pushed to get back into the game but it was ‘Foss who had the chances to increase their lead but didn’t convert.

As the final whistle went ‘Foss were pleased with their afternoons work as they gained 3 points to keep up with the top 2 in the league and putting an end to their opponents unbeaten run. Manager Paul Jacques said after the game he was proud of all of his players’ effort and commitment playing in a new formation and was frustrated that they no had no game next week.


MOM – Dan Jacques – Took both of his goals well and controlled the midfield all afternoon.