10 Men ‘Foss Dominate Derby Victory

10 Men ‘Foss Dominate Derby Victory


Barmby Moor FC 0-4 Wilberfoss AFC

It was a day to remember for Wilberfoss AFC manager Andrew Palfreyman as he took his ‘Foss side back to his old club Barmby Moor. Moor sat top of the league on goal difference meaning a victory would allow Palfreymans men to leapfrog their rivals.

After a disappointing result the week previous Palfreyman welcomed back, Mark Willoughby, Tom Chelin and James Howat to his side along with giving a debut to new signing Paul King. ‘Foss started brightly and forced a series of early corners. It was from a corner ‘Foss took the lead as Tom Matthews curled in a corner kick and former Barmby Moor player Jack Lockwood rose to nod the ball down to ‘Foss captain Oliver Newby who swivelled and fired home from close range. This goal seemed to spark the game into life with the referee having to deal with a number of tasty challenges and off the ball incidents as the game threatened to boil over. In to the book went Jack Lockwood and Neil Watt for the away side along with Sam Appleton for Barmby after an altercation with Lockwood.


(Pictured: 'Foss deny former Wilberfoss AFC player Tom Mercer (Blue No.8))

Returning ‘Foss Midfielder Mark Willoughby had a great chance to double the lead however shot wide after a great cross with Liam Booth going close at the other end for the hosts. On the half hour mark the game changed when Jack Lockwood was harshly shown his second yellow card for a seemingly innocuous tackle. The referee brandished the red card to the former Barmby Moor player meaning ‘Foss would have to play for over an hour with 10 men. Palfreymen soon reshuffled the team shape as the first half petered out.

The opening exchanges of the second half were very even with both defences coping well and the majority of the game being played in midfield. On the hour mark ‘Foss doubled their lead, Newby was played in one on one however was thwarted by the Barmby keeper Adam Thomas only for the on rushing Rich Tinson to slot home from a tight angle. The goal spurred Moor on as they pushed to get back in the game however on 68 minutes the games saw ‘Foss at their best. The ball was played down the right to Paul King who first time released Newby, a quick one two with Tinson sent the Newby free and his pin point cross found Tom Matthews at the far post who smashed the ball home to make the game safe.

On 72 minutes Jed Vale replaced King who had impressed on his debut before the ref was once again reaching for his top pocket. This time the already booked Barmby player Sam Appleton went straight to the back of ‘Foss player Newby giving the Referee no option but to reduce Barmby Moor to ten men. Moments later Tom Matthews showed his class after Newby was fouled once again this time 25 yards from goal. Matthews stepped up and curled the ball into the top right hand corner as Barmby keeper Thomas was left helpless.

With 14 minutes to go another former Barmby Moor player Alex McCallum who followed Palfreyman to the Storking Lane ground replaced Oliver Newby and was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet as his pace and power caused problems. Substitute Vale also went close as the game became stretched. Credit to Barmby thought as they kept plugging away however Chelin and Condren the centre back pairing for ‘Foss continued to deny them.

Following the match Palfreyman spoke of his delight “I couldn’t of asked anymore from the lads, every single one of them in that changing room gave me 110%. We knew they’d try and rough us up but we were up for the challenge and clinically took our chances. I thought the sending off on us was harsh however it showed the character and experience we have in the side. Our back four and keeper were superb and our attackers took their chances. We now have to take this into next weeks reverse fixture to cement our position”


 MOM sponsored by PDP: In fairness this could of gone to any player but in the end was given to Tom Chelin for a faultless display at centre half.