Jacques seals ‘Foss comeback

Jacques seals ‘Foss comeback

Wilberfoss AFC Reserves 3-2 Malt Shovel Reserves


Yew Tree Associate sponsored Wilberfoss AFC Reserves welcomed Malt Shovel to the Storking Lane ground looking to follow up last weeks victory with another 3 points on their push for promotion.

For the first time all season Manager Paul Jacques was able to name an unchanged side for the game which gave the home side the front foot in the first twenty minutes as they created chance after chance. With Foss’ still searching for that goal they deserved, Malt Shovel broke away and found their No.9 free up front who ran through and fired the ball past Sam Hendry to take the lead. it didn’t take long before Foss’ were back level when Dodds was released through on goal and this time made no mistake finishing past the ‘keeper.

Manager Paul Jacques expressed that this game was there to be killed off early in the second half and it was vital that they didn’t drop points after their first half performance. Within 10 minutes of the second half kicking off once again Malt Shovel absorbed the constant pressure and then hit ‘Foss on the break again when a ball across the 6 yard box was turned in at the back post by their No.10. ‘Foss found themselves 2-1 down with the away side scoring from their two shots on goal. Straight after the goal the game went back to ‘Foss who were sat deep in Malt Shovels half looking for the equaliser they full deserved. It finally came in the 68th minute when a ball through looked over hit but Kieth Meredith didn’t give up the chase and with the away sides keeper not fancying the challenge the ‘Foss striker managed to nip in and pass the ball into an empty net to draw level. Once again ‘Foss went on the front foot looking for the winner but this time made sure they didn’t get hit on the counter.

The game swung in ‘Foss’ favour for the first time in the match when Sam Gibney picked up the ball on the left wing and glided past 4 defenders as if they weren’t there and just as he was about to pull the trigger he was brought down from behind with the ref pointing straight to the spot. Dan Jacques stepped up and for the 3rd game in a row dispatched the penalty sending the ‘keeper the wrong way making it 4 goals in 3 games for the central midfielder. The game played out with ‘Foss looking like the only team to score again but with no success finishing the game 3-2 winners.

Manager Paul Jacques said after the game that it was games like today and grinding out 3 points that are the difference between promotion and not going up. The result came even more important after the game with ‘Foss finding out title rivals Poppleton had lost 3-0.


MOM – Ian Cappleman – Commanding performance playing out of position at centre half.