Reserves Swept Aside by Civil

Reserves Swept Aside by Civil


Wilberfoss AFC Reserves 3-8 Civil Service Reserves

Yew Tree Associate sponsored Wilberfoss AFC Reserves hosted Civil Service on Saturday in their first game back after the Christmas break. They were looking to continue their charge up the league and were due to field a strong starting line up until several withdrawals late on in the week and call ups to the First Team squad.

This forced Paul Jacques into playing many players out of positions and switching to playing with a back 3 and trying to compact the midfield battle. This was soon figured out by the away team who proceeded to use a long ball over the top with the front line not being able to close down the initial ball. The first goal came when a ball inside by David Laverack found the opposition and within two passes the Civil Service striker has been put through on goal and finished well to make it 1-0. The second goal came quickly after when Nathan Knowles delayed on the ball and gave the opposition the chance to steal in and have a clear run through on goal to double their lead. Before 15 minutes was on the clock Civil made it 3-0 when a long ball over the top wasn’t met and cleared by goalkeeper Sam Hendry giving the away side a convincing lead without creating a clear chance themselves. Foss’ finally managed to get into the game and started to get used to the new system forced upon them. Creating their first chances in the game they looked to be getting on top but unlike their opposition they couldn’t convert with as much ease. It took until the 30th minute for Foss’ to get one back when a well worked move saw Alex Zachariou pick the ball up on the edge of the box and with options either side of him saw the chance to curl the ball into the back post which bounced off kindly into the net to bring the home side back into the game. But with that Civil took kick-off and within two minutes had increased their cushion in the game back to three goals. Just before half-time the returning Kieth Meredith got on the end of a through ball to steer the ball past the keeper to take the score to 4-2 going into half time.

Manager Paul Jacques told his players that the game was still winnable and games like these are the difference between promotion and staying in the league with the most frustrating part being that 3 of the 4 goals had been gifted to their opponents. As the second half began neither team looked like creating many clear cut chances but with mistakes still flowing throughout the team it was Civil who added goals to their tally by getting a 5th and 6th goal with Foss’ gifting them another goal when keeper’ Hendry failed to clear in time before Civil striker simply put his leg out and watched the ball bounce into an empty net. Foss’ then gained a penalty with 20 minutes to go and was converted confidently by Dan Jacques making the score 6-3. As Foss’ chased the game Civil managed to add two more goal taking the final score to 8-3 which was in ways harsh on the home side but also a reflection on how key it was that Foss’ moved forward and realised how key the taking of chances and restricted mistakes throughout the games were.

Paul Jacques expressed this point after the game to his players but also stressed how it was vital for the players to pull together and go again next week.