Six Goal Thriller Ends Even

Six Goal Thriller Ends Even


Haxby United 3-3 Wilberfoss AFC

Yew Tree Associate sponsored Wilberfoss AFC returned to action travelling to Haxby United Saturday gone in their first league game of 2017. Manager Andrew Palreyman had to make a number of forced changes due to unavailability and late withdrawals.

‘Foss started the game brightly with O’Reilly, Newby and Tinson all spurning chances. As the half wore on Haxby started to take control and forced a series of corners that the Wilberfoss defence dealt with well. The centre back pairing of Condren and Chelin looked solid denying any Haxby attack.

On 30 minutes ‘Foss took the lead when a long ball forward found the feet on Bison O’Reilly who, with his back to goal lifted the ball over the Haxby defenders head before racing away and calmly slot home. As the first half came to a close tempers flared as the referee made a number of questionable decisions for both sides resulting in a scrappy end to the half.

Again ‘Foss started the second half brightly exploiting the space in behind for wingers Matthews and Houlder however it was Rchard Cole in the ‘Foss goal who had to be alert on two occasions to make smart saves early on. On the hour mark ‘Foss doubled their lead when Newby picked out O’Reilly who once again finished well into the bottom corner.

However credit to Haxby United as they hit back within a minute. A mix up in the Foss defence allowed their left winger to sweep the ball home to make it 2-1. On the hour mark the East Yorkshire men had the chance to make it 3-1 from the penalty spot after Houlder was upended. O’Reilly stepped up to seal his hat trick however he saw his spot kick cannon off the bar. Haxby soon punished ‘Foss as they drew on the 79 minutes when the ball was curled home from the edge of the box out of reach of Cole.

With 5 minutes remaining it looked like ‘Foss had won it when O’Reilly flicked on a ball for Newby who held off 2 Haxby defenders to smash the ball home to make it 3-2. With emotions high tempers flared again with the referee brandishing a number of yellow cards, unfortunately for Wilberfoss two of these were towards Mark Willoughby who was given his marching orders as the ref tried to regain control as players from both teams questioned his interesting decisions.

With almost the last kick of the game a 25 yard strike from a Haxby midfielder caused Cole in goal all sorts of problems, his parry landed at the feet of the Haxby striker who looked suspiciously offside as he tapped the ball home to grab a point for the home side.

After the game manager Andrew Palfreyman commented “This is a hard place to come, we didn’t play well today, it seemed like lots of big¬†decisions went against us today. Those players who did play today showed great effort and attitude but its always hard when you have to deal with late withdrawals that disrupt the squad. That said we take the point and move on to a massive game next week.


Man of the Match sponsored by Keyline: Jack Condren – who returned to the squad and gave a commanding performance at centre back.