Cappleman Hat Trick aids ‘Foss march

Cappleman Hat Trick aids ‘Foss march


Wilberfoss AFC Reserves 8-2 Selby Olympia Reserves

Yew Tree Associate sponsored Wilberfoss AFC Reserves returned to action on Saturday looking to bounce back to winning ways hoping to gain 3 points before the Christmas break. Selby Olympia were the visitors to the Storking Lane ground with ‘Foss winning the reverse fixture 4-2 earlier in the season.

Manager Paul Jacques was forced into making two changes when Mark Jones and Alex McCallum were called up to the first team and brought in Charlie Dodds and Simon Houlder who returned to the UK after being away in Australia. For one of the first times this season ‘Foss flew out of the traps not giving their opponents a moments rest on the ball and could of taken the lead in the first two minutes. It wasn’t long until ‘Foss did take the lead when a good run by Sam Gibney down the right delivered a ball in to the box which found the late run of Ian Cappleman who fired the ball into the net. It was only a matter of minutes before ‘Foss doubled their lead when the returning Charlie Dodds got back amongst the goals after he ran through the back line to calmly place the ball into the bottom corner out of the reach of the Selby ‘keeper. Selby struggled to get their foot on the ball as the middle three of Cappleman, Jacques and Oxley controlled the tempo of the game whilst both wingers Houlder and Gibney were causing their opposition full backs trouble every time the had the ball. Within 15 minutes it was 3-0 when a ball into the box found Houlder’s run to the front post and guided the ball into the net. Soon after the goal came Selby’s first real chance of the game when a ball over the top reached their No.9 but Tom Chelin managed to recover and make a challenge before he could get his shot away. Chelin who came in at centre back seemed to have sured up the defence as his presence and communication along the back four of Knowles, Haughian and Laverack gave ‘Foss the foundations to build each attack.

On the twenty minute mark Ian Cappleman once again found himself on the edge of the area with space to shoot and this time his effort looked to be saved until the ‘keeper misjudged the ball and dived over the top of the ball making it 4-0. The game settled down after this goal with both teams not really creating many chances. Before half-time Selby pulled a goal back when Knowles got caught on the ball on the half way line which resulted in a one on one for Olympia’s No.9 to calmly finish past ‘keeper Hendry.

At half-time Manager Paul Jacques expressed his disappointment to concede the goal but to make sure that game was put to bed earlt into the second half. The second half started slow with no real chances coming for either team in the first 15 minutes. After getting a hat-trick against the opponents in the away fixture Sam Gibney was determined to score again running at his full-back every chance he got. His goal, that was deserved came in the 60th minute when Selby’s defender gave the ball away on the edge of his box and Gibney punished him for his mistake as he slotted the ball into the bottom corner. He then made it 6-1 when Cappleman turned provider as his through ball released Gibney as he put it under the ‘keeper and into the net.

Paul Jacques then rang the changes with Cappleman and Dodds coming off for Zachoriou and Ollie Jacques. Selby then got another goal, as from a ‘Foss corner the ball broke kindly for the away side and the Selby’s No.9, who rounded Hendry passed into an empty net although the ‘Foss keeper almost kept it out. As players tired ‘Foss took advantage of the ‘roll on roll off’ substitutes with Cappleman and Dodds coming back on with both players looking to add to their goal tallies. Both managed to do so with Dodds making it two for the afternoon with 10 minutes left to play when Oxley played him through and to the surprise of Dodds the keeper was stood very one sided in his net leaving him to just pass the ball past the keeper to make it 7-2. With the minutes ticking away and three players chasing a hat-trick it was Cappleman that became the man to do so. Good work from Gibney on the right hand side held up play allowing players to join him further up the pitch and he then delivered a pin point cross which found Cappleman steaming in to volley the ball against the post to which it then bounced against the other post and in. A spectacular volley to secure his first ever hat-trick for Wilberfoss.

The scoring ended their with ‘Foss coming out on top 8-2 and never looking like losing from the first whistle. Manager Paul Jacques said after the game “I was pleased to finish with 3 points before Christmas and encouraged by the play going forward with the team starting to be more clinical in front of goal.”


MOM – Ian Cappleman – Commanded the midfield and the tempo of the game helping out the defence whilst also getting a hat-trick.