‘Foss ‘Halt’ Prices’ cup dream.

‘Foss ‘Halt’ Prices’ Cup Dream.


Wilberfoss AFC 4-2 Haltemprice FC

Yew Tree Associate sponsored Wilberfoss AFC welcomed Hull based rivals Haltemprice FC to the Storking Lane Ground Saturday gone, in the 2nd Round of the East Riding Cup. Manager Andrew Palfreyman had the late withdrawal of Tom Matthews as well as missing key players Willoughby and Vale. The reshuffle saw Mark Jones promoted to the First Team to replace Willoughby, with Tom Chelin return for the first time this season and Ben Taylor also give his chance to impress.

After heavy overnight rain the game started with a frantic pace with both teams having early chances. 4 minutes in Haltemprice took the lead when their striker pounced to finish well into the bottom corner. From then on ‘Foss started to take control with McAllister heading wide from a Newby cross before the the provider then pulled a shot wide from a good position when released by O’Brien.

It was Kieron O’Brien who brought the game level with a trademark left footed free kick. From 20 yards out the ‘Foss full back whipped a ball out of reach of the Haltemprice keeper into the top left hand corner to pull the sides level. Further chances fell to McAllister and Lockwood who was playing a deeper role whilst Jones saw a rasping shot cannon off the post. Moments later the ‘Foss keeper made a world class save down low to his left, when the ball looked certain to nestle in the bottom corner to keep ‘Foss in the game.

On the stroke of half time ‘Foss deservedly took the lead when a dangerous in-swinging corner from the left foot of O’Brien was met by the head of Jack Lockwood who rose at the far post to head home to take ‘Foss into the interval 2-1 to the good.


At half Jack Condren was replaced by Tom Chelin at centre back due to illness. ‘Foss started brightly creating further chances however it took until almost the hour mark to extend their lead when on 58 minutes Rich Tinson made a bursting run through before setting up Sam McAllister who slotted home to make it 3-1. A minute later Haltemprice were back in it when slack marking in the Wilberfoss defence allowed the No.10 to power the ball into the bottom left hand corner to make it 3-2. On 67 minutes ‘Foss finally made the game safe. Neil Watt found the surging run of Oliver Newby and as the Haltemprice keeper tried to smother the ball it bounce free to McAllister who accurately lifted the ball over two defenders into the roof of the net.

With moments to go ‘Foss could of put the icing on the cake when Jack Lockwood fired into the side netting with Sam McAllister stood unmarked on the 6 yard box searching for his hat trick.

After the game manager Palfreyman commented. “I’m pleased to progress to the next round and I thought in parts we were excellent today however our decision making at times was poor. That said I had to ask players to play in unusual positions and with that in mind this is a great result.”


MOM – Man of the Match sponsored by AMC went to youngster Sam McAllister – worked tirelessly and was unlucky not to get his hat trick.