Debutant McCallum’s brace fires ‘Foss to cup glory.

Debutant McCallum’s brace fires ‘Foss to cup glory.


Easington AFC 1-5 Wilberfoss AFC Reserves

Yew Tree Associate sponsored Wilberfoss AFC Reserves returned to winning ways this weekend when they travelled to Easington AFC in the East Riding Qualifying Cup.

‘Foss knew they had the stop the rot after two losses on the trot with this game coming before 3 vital league games. In addition ‘Foss knew very little about their opponents going into the game but settled very quickly controlling most of the possession but not creating many clear chances. The main threat came from long distance efforts but nothing to really test the keeper. After 15 minutes a long ball over the top caught Foss’ defence flat footed and it took a reaction save down to Sam Hendry’s left to keep the scores level. ‘Foss carried on with the constant pressure barely letting their opponents out of their own half knowing they needed to take advantage of this. The first goal came in the 25th minute when Alex McCallum who was making his debut caught Easington’s centre half flat footed and nipped in to steal the ball in front of goal to which he then brought him down to give a penalty away. Dan Jacques stepped up to take the spot kick and sent the keeper the wrong way to give ‘Foss the lead they deserved.

‘Foss continued to press but no avail. Then received a sucker punch in the 42nd minute as the ball somehow found its way through the ‘Foss defence for Easington’s No.16 to run on to and slot calmly into the bottom corner sending the teams in level at half time. Manager Paul Jacques expressed how no matter how much they control the game they have to take their chances and put the game to bed early in the second half. To which the team responded and came flying out the traps second half. With a few chances going begging they won a free-kick 30 yards out and after seeing the opponents keeper already spill a few shots and crosses ‘Foss decided to test him and make sure followed in. David Laverack stepped up to take the free kick and forced the keeper to save down to his right but like before spilled the ball back into his 6 yard box with Mark Jones being the quickest to pounce and knock the ball home. It only took ‘Foss 5 more minutes to increase their lead to two goals when Laverack delivered another ball into the box for McCallum to find himself under no pressure and able to bring the ball down and fire the ball home to get a goal on his debut.

‘Foss now had control of the game and with Ian Cappleman and Dan Jacques controlling the games tempo and starting attack after attack as it became a matter of how many could they convert as Easington seemed beaten. As their keeper continued to keep the score at 3-1 on the 70th minute a ball into the box by Sam Gibney wasn’t dealt with by the Easington’s defence as the ball bounced around not being properly cleared as again McCallum beat his marker to the ball to poke it over the line to make it a brace on his debut. As all players pushed forward trying to get on the score sheet centre half James Haughian found himself picking the ball up on the edge of the box and looking to test the keeper. From the resulting goal kick the ball was headed straight back towards Easington’s goal and after a afternoon of chances Ian Cappleman finally managed to steer the ball home as he volleyed a poor clearance into the bottom corner.

The scoring ended there with the game finishing 5-1 to ‘Foss making their hour and a half journey back home a lot easier. Manager Paul Jacques said after the game that his team had to play the way they did in the second half for 90 minutes as a better team would punish them for those missed chances however was pleased to progress into the quarter finals of the cup and back to winning ways before heading to Wetherby next week in the league.

MOM – Could of been a number of players but Ian Cappleman tipped it as he controlled the midfield from the first whistle giving the defence cover whilst also setting up many ‘Foss attacks