Referee Ruins Reserves Run.

Referee Ruins Reserves Run


Malt Shovel Reserves 4-3 Wilberfoss AFC Reserves


Yew Tree Associate sponsored Wilberfoss Reserves unbeaten start to the season came to the end on Saturday when they travelled to Malt Shovel.

‘Foss turned up to the game having won every game so far this season but only had the bare 11 players for the game due to injuries, unavailability and call-ups to the First Team. The game was played throughout at a frantic pace with neither team getting a moments rest due to the small size of the away sides compact pitch and with Malt Shovel’s First Team having no game they were able to bring in 5 players to strengthen their squad. This though didn’t stop ‘Foss from taking the lead in the 20th minute when Joe Drydal’s corner was cleared to Ollie Jacques who before he could get a touch Shovel’s No.4 ploughed him to the ground. From the resulting free-kick David Laverack managed to get the ball up and down over the wall as the ball bounced into the bottom corner to give ‘Foss the lead. Shovel came straight back at the away side causing the back four of Allen, Gaines, Laverack and Jacques problems in the air due to their greater height difference. It was from this came the equaliser when a ball wasn’t dealt with out wide by Mark Jones and from the resulting cross Shovels No.9 rose above Allen to head home.

It wasn’t long before ‘Foss regained the lead when this time a Charlie Dodds corner caused problems inside the box and with a few players trying to force the ball away it fell kindly to Ian Cappleman who’s half volley spun into the top corner of the net leaving their keeper rooting to the floor. ‘Foss went into half time with a 2-1 lead knowing that the next goal was vital to the swing of the game and had to be awake from the first whistle as Shovel would come straight back out at them in the second half.

It was Shovel who had the better of the opening chances with Sam Hendry keeping them at bay with some vital saves. In the 60th minute ‘Foss gained a free-kick out on the left which Carl Wormsley swung into the box to which the keeper called and came for but as the keeper jumped up he misjudged the flight of the ball flicking it back up into the air. As the ball came down Laverack who had followed the ball in and gambled on the ball, was able to head home into an empty net to make it 3-1. This then invited on more pressure for the away side with Shovel being able to make regular changes to keep all players fresh. 5 minutes later Shovel got back into the game when a questionable free-kick was given when it seemed Shovel’s No.10 had taken a dive. The resulting free-kick was swung in and deflecting off Shovel’s No.15 knee flew into the top corner giving goalkeeper Hendry no chance.

It was in the 67th minute that the game swung fully in Shovel’s favour when Gaines went to clear a ball on the byline and landed his foot in a pot hole and as their attacker bundled into him his leg gave way. Gaines straight away knew he had broken his leg calling out for an ambulance to be rang. With this causing a stoppage in play for 45 minutes and meaning with no subs ‘Foss were down to 10 men for the remainder of the game. Shovel threw men forward once the game had restarted with Cappleman dropping back into the back four and asking Dan Jacques and Joe Drydal to work hard in the middle against a 3 for the last 20 minutes. The pressure paid off for Shovel with 10 minutes to go when a ball over the top fell kindly for Shovels No.7 who calmly slotted the ball home to bring the side level. With the game coming to a close and on reflection of the game a draw being a fair result and would of kept ‘Foss top of the league another ball over the top fell to Shovel’s No.14 who was stood a clear 5 yards offside. ‘Keeper Hendry had no choice to bring the player down as the referee played on missing this clear decision resulting in a penalty in the last minute of the game. No.14 stepped up for the penalty and with Hendry diving the right way was unlucky not to keep the ball out. With the whistle going moments after the ‘Foss players who had given everything dropped to the ground as they didn’t deserve to be on the losing side.

Manager Paul Jacques said after the game he couldn’t fault any players commitment and effort in the game and it just seemed like everything was against them. His thought were also with his Captain and long servant James Gaines who he wished a quick and safe recovery from his broken leg.

MOM – David Laverack – Hard choice to make on the back of the result and everyone’s performance but took his two goals well which edged the decision his way