‘Foss Back to Winning Ways

‘Foss Back to Winning Ways


Wilberfoss AFC 3-1 Haxby United

Yew Tree Associate sponsored Wilberfoss AFC welcomed an experienced Haxby United side to the Storking Lane Ground Saturday gone. Again the management of Kieron O’Brien & Andrew Palfreyman were forced into a number of changes due to unavailability and injury. Alex Gurnell continued in defence however moving to a more central position with Sam Gibney returning to the first team at right back following two man of the match performances in the reserves.

Haxby started the brighter of the two sides and forced a couple of early corners, with a good chance to take the lead as a ball was fired over from close range. As the half went on ‘Foss started to take control with the central midfield of Matthews & Newby starting to see much more of the ball. Jed Vale and Jack Lockwood were a constant thorn in the United defence and it was the former who was brought down in the box on 22 minutes with the ref pointing to the spot. ‘Foss skipper Oliver Newby stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong, smashing the ball into the top left hand corner to give ‘Foss the lead.

Haxby responded well and could and probably should have been level within 2 minutes when a mix up in the Wilberfoss defence allowed the Haxby left winger through on goal but keeper Cole recovered well and saw the ball go wide.

On the stroke of half time Dan Gibney was put through on goal only see his effort come off a post and go wide.

The East Yorkshire men started the second half well controlling the early stages however it took until the hour mark before they extended their lead. Newby spotted the run of Jack Lockwood and found him with a through from his own half which Lockwood fired home at the second attempt. Sadly moments later Lockwood picked up a nasty looking ankle injury.

It was 3-0 soon after as Jed Vale picked the pocket of a Haxby defender near the corner flag and his inch perfect cross was headed home by Dan Gibney to make the game safe. Haxby did pick up a consolation when a cross from the left evaded both Howat and Gurnell and was headed home.

After the game Palfreyman spoken of his delight with the attitude and togetherness “This is the sort of performance we expect, from the very first whistle every player worked tirelessly for each other’. O’Brien said ‘I’m over the moon with the effort today and the young lads again who came in were superb.”

MOM: Sam Gibney – who came back into the first team and was superb at right back.