Gibney steals the show as ‘Foss Reserves march on

Gibney steals the show as ‘Foss Reserves march on


Selby Olympia Reserves 2-4 Wilberfoss AFC Reserves

Yew Tree Associates sponsored Wilberfoss AFC Reserves made it back to back league wins when they travelled to Selby Olympia at the weekend coming out on top 4-2. With manager Paul Jacques being forced into making 4 changes with Jacob Allen, Benjy Taylor, Mark Jones and ‘keeper Sam Hendry all unavailable. With the latter being called up to the 1st Team ‘Foss were forced into playing outfield player Chris Turpin in goal.

Once again for the third game on the trot this season Foss started slowly not managing to get set up at the back and with an early a goal been ruled out for offside Selby pumped another long ball over the top which was misjudged by centre half Alex Gurnell and as he and keeper Turpin waited for each other to to clear the ball the Selby striker nipped in and passed the ball into an empty net.

This kick started ‘Foss into gear as they got a foot on the ball in midfield and started to pass the ball around. It’s wasn’t long until they got level when winger Sam Gibney was played in by Dan Jacques who shot across the keeper into the bottom corner. It only took Gibney and ‘Foss another 5 minutes to get their second goal when Selby played the ball back to their keeper who’s clearance fell straight at Gibney’s feet who then knocked the ball round the keeper and scored into an empty net. With ‘Foss now in control of the game they went looking for a third to give themselves a cushion in the game. When Selby’s centre half went to flick the ball back to his keeper, Gibney was the man on the spot again as he nipped in to complete his hat-trick within the first half and give ‘Foss a two goal cushion going into half-time.

‘Foss knew Selby would come out at them in the second half just like they did in the first half with the next goal being vital to the swing of the match. ‘Foss started brightly creating a few chances to try get their 4th goal of the match but with Selby’s keeper pulling off some good saves and some poor finishing ‘Foss were unable to get the killer goal until then 60th minute. Gibney who had tormented his full back all game picked the ball up on the right hand side and glided past 3 players like they weren’t there and played Charlie Dodds through on goal who took his chance first time smashing the ball into the roof of the night to make it 4-1.

Foss then brought on their only sub Jake Whitfield for his final appearance for the club as he had announced prior to the game his intentions to leave for Pocklington Town in search of game time. With a change of tactics and now have a target man to hit the chances still kept coming Foss’ way as Whitfield held the ball up well and brought both wingers into the game. Foss were unable to add any more goals to their tally with the last goal of the game going to Selby. As James Haughian held up his man the referee deemed him to be pulling on his shirt and pointed to the spot for a very soft penalty. With ‘keeper Turpin diving the right way and getting a fingertip onto it he was unable to keep the ball out as the goal ended up being a consolation for Selby.

Stand in manager for the day Dave Laverack commented after the game that he was pleased with everyone’s performance and it was pleasing to get 3 points against a team that had beat them home and away last season.


MOM – Sam Gibney – Took his hat-trick well giving Foss a foothold in the game whilst not giving his full back a minutes rest all game.