‘Foss rue missed chances!

‘Foss rue missed chances!


Wilberfoss AFC 0-3 Bishopthorpe United

Yew Tree Associates sponsored Wilberfoss AFC suffered their first defeat in almost a year after crashing to a 3-0 defeat by a spirited and very much changed Bishopthorpe side. ‘Foss made a numbers of changes from the opening day reverse having 6 first team regulars missing due to unavailability or illness including manager Kieron O’Brien.

‘Bish started brightly and should have been awarded a penalty that the referee somehow managed to miss after 12 minutes when a clumsy challenge brought down ‘Bish midfielder Heath. As the half went on ‘Foss started to take hold however chances were created at both ends with United dangerous on the counter attack. Jed Vale returned to the first team after a lengthy time on the side-lines with injury and spurned two good chances in the first half an hour with a lack of match sharpness showing.

Further goal scoring opportunities fell to McAllister and Howat and it was the latter who missed a golden chance to put the East Yorkshire men ahead when Tom Matthews curled in a teasing free kick to the back post and with an open goal managed to head wide. The referee continued to give questionable decisions, on most parts these were felt by both sides however, on the stroke of half time he awarded a Bishopthorpe United corner which for all 22 players looked to be a goal kick. The ball was curled in from the right and Bishopthorpe midfielder Connor McGiligan’s header deflected off ‘Foss skipper Oliver Newby despairing head into the top corner to give the York side the lead.

‘Foss started the second half much better and moved the ball well in parts. Further chances fell to Lockwood before centre midfielder Tom Matthews hit the ‘Bish upright with a shot from 20 yards.

Just a ‘Foss looked to push for the equaliser the ‘sucker punch’ came. A mix up between ‘Foss full backs Wain & Knowles resulted in a cross field ball which was intercepted by ‘Bish striker Richard Matthews who ran through and calmly slotted home.

More chances fell to Vale, Lockwood and McAllister however with a mixture of superb defending, good goalkeeping and a small bit of luck ‘Bish kept their clean sheet intact. With 15 minutes to go Palfreyman replaced the injured Wain and with 5 minutes to go it was the former who made a needless tackle on the edge of the ‘Foss box resulting in the award of a Bishopthorpe United free kick. The resulting free kick was despatched left footed into the top right hand corner of Sam Hendrys goal by Jack Heath to give the away side the 3 points and honours even between the two sides this season.

Following the game manager Andrew Palfreyman spoke “It’s a hard one to take because we created lots of chances and on another day we go in 2-0 up at half time. I think we learnt a lot about some players when the going gets tough today but take nothing away from Bishopthorpe they simply wanted it more than us today”


MOM: Jack Condren: One positive from the game was the performance of Condren who didn’t put a foot wrong, looking calm and composed in possession.