‘Foss progress despite lacklustre showing.

‘Foss progress despite lacklustre showing.


Huntington FC 2-3 Wilberfoss AFC

Yew Tree Associates sponsored Wilberfoss AFC progressed in to the next round of the York FA Cup on Saturday however made hard work of dispatching their lower league opposition.

Phil O’Reilly returned to the starting 11 after nearly a month on the side-lines with Simon Houlder who played his last game for the club before moving to Australia. Mark Willoughby carried a knock from the Bishopthorpe United game so was rested with Kieron O’Brien and James Haughian both getting starting recalls.

With the wind swirling ‘Foss got off to the worst possible start within the first minute of the game, Jack Condren in his new central midfield role was caught in possession and the Huntington FC centre forward hit a rasping shot from 25 yards which dipped and ’out foxed’ Rich Cole in goal. From then on ‘Foss controlled the half however with a combination of a poor playing surface and challenging wind condition they never really got into their stride. After 20 minutes ‘Foss we back in the game when lively winger Jack Lockwood’s powerful drive brought the game level at 1-1. It was soon 2-1 to the East Yorkshiremen when Sam McAllister drifted in from his left wing position and smartly finished to give Wilberfoss the lead on 34 minutes.


(Picture: Jack Lockwood drives at the Huntington FC defence)

Just as the half was starting to peter-out Foss struck again. Left Back Kieron O’Brien made a surging run down the left and provided a pass into Phil O’Reillys who helped the ball on for the on-rushing Oliver Newby who coolly rounded the Huntington FC goalkeeper and scored from an acute angle to send Foss’ into the break 3-1 to good.

Foss’ started to the second half better and had chances to put the game to bed however on the hour mark ‘Foss sloppily gave the ball away in the Huntington FC final third, and although easily regained possession the ball was played back to Wilberfoss AFC keeper Rich Cole who dwelled on the ball and was dispossessed on the edge of his own box which enabled the Huntington striker to roll the ball into an empty net and make it 3-2. ‘Foss had 2 good penalty shouts turned down, none surprising with some of the decisions the referee made as his missed key decisions for both teams. Nathan Knowles replaced Matty Wain at right back with Simon Houlder coming on for Jack Condren as the 90 minutes drew to a close.


(Pictured: Phil O'Reilly looks to start a 'Foss attack)

After the game both O’Brien and Palfreyman were disappointed with the performance but were happy to progress to next round. After the game Palfreyman commented ‘They caught us napping early and played like it was their cup final and that’s something we need to prepare better for in the future. We got the win which is the main thing and we look forward to travelling to Easingwold Town next Saturday.’

 MOM: Jack Lockwood – a goal and assist, giving their left back the run-around all game.