‘Foss Hit Ground Running with Emphatic Second Half Display.

‘Foss Hit Ground Running with Emphatic Second Half Display.


Bishopthorpe United 0-4 Wilberfoss AFC

Yew Tree Associate sponsored Wilberfoss AFC kicked off their Division Two campaign with a 4-0 victory over Bishopthorpe United. O’Brien & Palfreyman gave debuts to Matthew Wain, Jack Condren, Jack Lockwood and Tom Matthews along with last season’s Reserve Team Player of the Year Nathan Knowles given his chance at left back.


The first half was a stalemate as both teams tried to take control. ‘Bish went close after 20 minutes when a free kick clipped the top of the bar however it was Wilberfoss who saw most of the ball with Mark Willoughby unlucky not to score striking the foot of the Bishopthorpe post.

At half time the instructions to the ‘Foss team were to be patient, however ‘Foss didn’t have to wait long as on 48 mins a quick throw in on the right allowed Newby to roll his man on the edge of the box and fire a ball across the 6 yard box which the on rushing Tom Matthews tapped in for a goal on his debut after signing from Dunnington FC in the summer. It was quickly 2-0 on the 55th minute mark when a brilliantly curled in free kick from right back Matthew Wain found the head of Newby that the Bishopthorpe keeper struggled to keep out with the ball ending up in the bottom left hand corner.

The two goals relaxed ‘Foss as they took control of the game, that said they were tested a couple of times by the lively Bishopthorpe centre forward but the new centre back pairing of Howat and Condren dealt with everything thrown at them. It was the former who made it 3-0. James Howat, who was the only outfield player who failed to score during the unbeaten season of 2015/16 towered highest on 75 minutes to head home from a Tom Matthews corner to break his duck which brought mass celebrations. Changes were then made as player/manager O’Brien replaced Knowles and Haughian came on for Matthews as they ‘Foss looked to close off the game.

Bishopthorpe went close again when a long range shot cannoned off the inside of the bar however this was all that really trouble ‘Foss keeper Rich Cole. On 85 minutes Lockwood burst down the right hand side before delivering a superb cross. The ball fell to McAllister whose shot was blocked and ball fell kindly to Newby 12 yards out who swept home to seal the victory.

Following the game O’Brien & Palfreyman were pleased to pick up their first 3 points of the season and commented “We struggled a bit in the first half however we showed confidence in possession and the set pieces we’d worked on in training delivered the goods. 4 goals, 3 points and a clean sheet, we can’t ask for much more from the boys”

MOM- Matty Wain – a superb performance on his debut with a great ball in for Foss’ second goal.