Table Toppers ‘Foss Demolish Bottom Boys Bubwith

Table Toppers ‘Foss Demolish Bottom Boys Bubwith


Wilberfoss AFC 6—0 Bubwith FC

Yew Tree Associate sponsored Wilberfoss AFC inflicted more misery on basement boys Bubwith FC with an empathic 6-0 victory to keep Bubwith rooted to the foot of the table. ‘Foss are now, all but champions and require 1 point from their remaining 3 games to make the league title theirs.

Brian Walker was forced into two changes following the unavailability of the injured Phil O’Reilly and Kieron O’Brien. Walker brought in Chris Turpin at left back to replace O’Brien and Jed Vale reverted to his favoured centre forward position. In addition, Ian Cappleman and youngster Sam McAllister were both promoted from the reserve team.

In a fiery and frantic first 10 minutes it was away side who controlled the early stages and tested ‘Foss keeper Rich Cole on a number of occasions. On 15 minutes Wilberfoss should have been in front when Oliver Newby easily rolled his man and fired in a dangerous cross that evaded the advancing Jed Vale. 5 minutes later the pair combined again. Newby was played in after a wonderful ball from Neil Watt, before committing the keeper and unselfishly rolling the ball for Jed Vale to tap home.


(Pictured: 'Foss Captain Newby out muscles Bubwith's Paul Hunter before setting up the first goal)

On the half hour mark Brian Walker’s men made it 2-0. A long ball free kick from James Anderson caused mayhem in the away side’s back line and former Bubwith forward Simon Houlder nipped in and coolly slotted the ball home. Further chances fell at both ends however the ever solid centre back pairing of Howat and Anderson kept the ‘Foss clean sheet intact.

Moments into the second half Houlder was again haunting his former club when he was hacked down in the box. ‘Foss skipper Newby stepped up and fired the ball home beyond the reach of the Bubwith keeper. On the hour mark Newby picked up his 2nd of the afternoon when he raced clear following a Mark Willoughby through ball and stylishly found the bottom left hand corner.


(Pictured: Mark Willoughby (No.6) controls the ball before delivering into the box.)

2 minutes later it was 5-0 when Houlder fired home again to add further salt to the wound. Wilberfoss manager then rang the changes introducing Thompson for Watt, Cappleman for Tinson & MacAllister for Drydal and it was the latter who moments after coming on was fouled in the box with ref pointing to the spot. Birthday boy Newby stepped up and fired the penalty home, sending the keeper the wrong way to complete his hat trick and puting the ‘icing on the cake’.  With 10 minutes to go the referee showed a red card to the Bubwith captain as tempers flared in an off the ball incident which added insult to injury for Bubwith and made their chances of staying in the division somewhat difficult.

Following the game manager Brian Walker commented ‘Apart from the first 10 minutes we completely outclassed them today. We knew they would come at us, but we had to be patient and not get involved with the mind games. I was delighted my experienced players protected our younger lads and it’s always nice to take 3 points from your local rivals.’

Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 17.44.18

This week’s man of the match sponsored by Classic Volks went to Jed Vale, who worked tirelessly off the ball and took his goal well.