‘Foss gain promotion with empathic victory.

‘Foss gain promotion with empathic victory.


Wilberfoss AFC 5-0 Rufforth AFC

Yew Tree Associate sponsored Wilberfoss AFC showed great bouncebackability after last week dropping points for the first time this season. This weekend Rufforth AFC travelled to The Storking Lane Ground in buoyant mood having been the first team to take points off Brian Walkers men the week previous.

Manager Walker welcomed back midfield duo Mark Willoughby & Oliver Newby along with right back Neil Watt, with all three men going straight back in managers starting 11 following last weeks draw. ‘Foss knew 3 points would secure promotion if other results went their way and started brightly, however, were frustrated as the away side worked hard to thwart any ‘Foss attack. Both keepers were busy in the opening exchanges with Wilberfoss keeper Richard Cole making a smart save to deny the Rufforth No. 10 on the 6 minute mark.


(Pictured: Phil O'Reilly (centre) lays the ball off to the advancing Oliver Newby)

‘Foss dominance began to grow as the half wore on with the returning Newby & Willoughby being instrumental in most of Wilberfoss’ attacking moves. On 20 minutes Rich Tinson broke up a Rufforth attack on the edge of the ‘Foss 18 yard box, who quickly released the ball to the advanced Newby. Winger Simon Houlder made a clever run on the outside of the Rufforth left back and was found by ‘Foss captain before he delivered a superb ball to O’Reilly who first touch set him before he fired home to give Wilberfoss a deserved lead. Moments later it was 2-0, again the goal coming from the right, this time Oliver Newby turned provider as he was fed the ball by Neil Watt, his wiped in cross to the near post found the advancing Jed Vale who finished neatly.


(Pictured: 'Foss Captain Newby (No.8) starts a Wilberfoss AFC attack)

In the second half Walkers men picked up where they had left off in the 1st half. ‘Foss forced a corner from the right which Kieron O’Brien wiped in and Houlder stooped at the far post to make it 3-0. The fourth followed shortly after as Vale got his second after a slick passing move started by Willoughby and final piece of the jigsaw was put in place as Houlder got his second of the game when he powered home a header from another Newby cross, this time from the left. Vale could, and probably should of gone home with the match ball in the dying minutes but was denied his hat track after a smart save by the Rufforth keeper.

Three forced changes we made all due to injury. Houlder was unable to complete his hat trick when he picked up a knee injury and was replaced by young Ben Thompson. The lively Joe Drydal replaced Phil O’Reilly who disappointingly managed to break a bone in his hand after a strong challenge and keeper Rich Cole was substituted as a precaution to prevent further damage to a previous ankle injury. The centre back partnership of Howat & Anderson continued to flourish with a clean sheet, which put the icing on the cake and erased any disappointment from the previous week.


(Pictured: 'Foss winger Simon Houlder (No.14) stoops to head home his first goal)

After the game spirits were high as news landed that results had gone Wilberfoss’ way and it was confirmed they had gained promotion. Manager Brian Walker was very complimentary towards his sides performance, commenting ’I am delighted with the character shown after dropping points last week. It was good to get Mark & Oliver back in the side to give us that extra spark going forward and we need to take this into next week’s game at Bubwith to help us push towards gaining the league championship.


Man of the Match sponsored by AMC went to ‘Foss captain Oliver Newby who had a hand in 4 of his sides goals.