Foss take one step closer to promotion.

Foss take one step closer to promotion.


Wilberfoss 5-2 Huby FC.

Yew Tree Associate sponsored Wilberfoss AFC returned to action on Saturday and welcomed Huby FC to The Storking Lane Ground. A fiercely contested encounter between the two teams in early February had seen ‘Foss snatch a last gasp winner to take all 3 points so Walkers men knew they were in for a battle.

Manager Brian Walker had a number of key players unavailable with Vice-captain Kieron O’Brien, striker Phil O’Reilly & inform centre back James Howat all unavailable.

New signing James Anderson replaced Howat at centre back and made his eagerly anticipated Wilberfoss AFC debut alongside the impressive youngster Tom Corner. Joe Drydal also returned to First Team along with Chris Turpin featuring in the First Team squad for the first time in 2016.

‘Foss got off to the worst possible start conceding a goal in the 1st minute of the game. A well worked ball down the left was crossed in for the Huby FC striker to side foot home. This gave Walkers men the ‘kick start’ they required and on 12 minutes were back level. A corner from the right was swung in by Jed Vale that found Mark Willoughby at the far post however his goal bound header was handled on the line by the Huby full back. Captain Oliver Newby stepped up and sent the Huby keeper the wrong way, placing the ball in the bottom left corner, to score his 12th goal of the season. Newby should then have made it 2-1 moments later when the lively Jed Vale beat his man and teased in a beautiful ball from the right, which somehow managed to evade the on rushing ‘Foss skipper.


(Pictured: Mark Willoughby looks to switch play to Joe Drydal (No.9))

On 20 minutes Wilberfoss did take the lead. Again that man Vale curled is another great corner, a carbon copy previous to the penalty incident, however this time Willoughby rose and with a thumping header smashed the ball home.

Wilberfoss No.1 Rich Cole was kept relatively quiet with the back 4 of Watt, Corner, Anderson & Chelin keeping the Huby attack at bay. On the stroke of half time ‘Foss made it 3-1 when young winger Joe Drydal bundled the ball home at the back post to give Walkers men the comfort they deserved.

With no changes at half time ‘Foss continued to control the game with Huby struggling as Tinson & Willoughby continued to control the midfield. On the hour mark Chelin floated the ball in to Houlder down the left, who played a clever one-two with Newby, beat two Huby defenders to reach the bi-line, before putting the ball on the plate for Jed Vale to make it 4-1.


(Pictured: Joe Drydal holds up the ball as 'Foss Captain Oliver Newby looks on)

This cued the changes for manager Walker as young Ben Thompson replaced Rich Tinson and Haughian replaced Houlder. It was the latter of these changes that made the biggest impact as with his first touch he smashed the ball home from 12 yards, after the Huby FC keeper failed to deal with a Vale shot to make it 5-1. On 75 minutes Chris Turpin replaced Tom Chelin at left back and could of made it 6-1 if it wasn’t for a good save from the Huby No.1.

On 90 minutes Huby did pull a goal back, a ball from the right put in the Huby No.9 however his shot produced a world class save from Cole only for the ball to fall kind to Huby striker who tapped the ball into an empty net.

After the game Wilberfoss AFC manager Brian Walker spoke of delight at gain 3 more points whilst maintaining the clubs 100% league record. He commented “I was thrilled with the overall performance especially with the changes I had to make. The lads who came in were superb. It was great to see James Anderson in a ‘Foss shirt and the returning performance of Joe Drydal was particularly impressive. I thought Mark Willoughby and Jed Vale were brilliant and we have to take this performance into next week’s massive game against Rufforth AFC.


Man of the Match sponsored by Stipendia goes to Jed Vale who worked tirelessly up front on his own, providing 2 assists and fully deserving his 9th goal of the season.