Foss charge on but almost hit self-destruct


Foss charge on but almost hit self-destruct

Selby Olympia 2-3 Wilberfoss AFC

Yew Tree Associate sponsored Wilberfoss AFC made it 10 wins in 10 games but made hard work of it having been in total control of the game.

The Storking Lane Ground chief Walker made three changes to last week’s winning side with Thompson & Chelin coming in after impressive substitute appearances along with O’Brien.

Foss started brightly taking the game to their opponents with the front 4 of Houlder, Vale, Thompson & O’Reilly all looking sharp. Newby playing in a deeper than usual role, alongside Rich Tinson, picked out Si Houlder on the left who forced a corner after 5 minutes. From the resulting corner Jed Vale curled the ball in and Houlder tapped the ball in at the far post to give Foss the lead.

8 minutes in, returning defender Tom Chelin was replaced due to a reoccurrence of a thigh injury with 17 year old debutant Tom Corner coming on at centre back alongside James Howat.

Youngster Ben Thompson could have doubled Foss’ lead moments later when played through by Skipper Newby, however the Olympia keeper forced him wide. Walkers men did get their second on the 20 minute mark when Jed Vale scored following a flick on from O’Reilly who was causing the oppositions defend all sorts of physical problems.

Foss were unlucky not to go into the half time break at 3-0 when a Foss corner half cleared to Newby on the edge of the box, whose strike cannoned off the upright and to safety.

In to the second half Foss’ continued to control the game with chances falling to O’Reilly, Vale and Howat. On the hour mark Foss finally made it 3-0 when O’Brien crossed from the left and Phil O’Reilly rose to head home.

Unfortunately Walkers men then took their foot off the gas. The impressive Ben Thompson was replaced by youngster Sam Gibney and on the 70th minute mark a cross from the Selby Olympia right winger picked out their centre forward who lost his man and calmly finished past keeper Rich Cole.

5 minutes later Olympia were in again, an unfortunate slip by centre back Tom Corner allowed the Selby striker to get away and slot the ball home to make an interesting final 15 minutes. Watt was replaced by Womersley at right back as manager Walker looked to tighten things up and although camped in their own half Foss could of put the game to bed on two occasions when counter attack chances fell to Vale and Houlder, however Foss held strong and went away with 3 more valuable points.

Following the final whistle manager Brian Walker again praised his team, but was unhappy with his side’s lack of concentration and admitted on another day the result could have been very different. Foss Captain Oliver Newby praised the performances of youngsters Tom Corner & Ben Thompson who he felt showed great maturity and confidence.


Man of the Match sponsored by Keyline went to James ‘Chippy’ Howat – for the second week running the defender produced an impressive and commanding performance.

James Howat2