Vale On The Spot As Foss Show Bouncebackability


Vale On The Spot As Foss Show Bouncebackability

Wilberfoss 3-2 Moor Lane

Yew Tree Associate sponsored Wilberfoss AFC welcomed the nearest of the leagues chasing pack on Saturday hoping to stretch their lead further at the summit of the table.

Again for the second week running manager Brian Walker only made one change to his squad replacing last week’s man of the match Kieron O’Brien who was unavailable.

Foss’ started brightly and enjoyed good possession carving out a number of early opportunities. Vale and Houlder looked dangerous as constant outlets on the Foss wings. After 15 minutes Walker lost arguably his most influential player this season as Mark Willoughby had to be substituted due to a nasty ankle injury. Foss reshuffled bringing on young Ben Thompson and after 20 minutes Newby fed in Houlder down the left, although he looked be fouled in the box, the ref waved play on. Womersley picked up the loose ball and curled in a lovely cross landing at the feet of the advancing Tinson who was brought down by a Moor Lane full back.

In-form centre forward Phil O’Reilly stepped up confidently sending the keeper the wrong way to give The Storking Lane boys the lead. On the half hour mark it was that man O’Reilly again who doubled Foss’ lead. A teasing corner was delivered by Jed Vale from the right and O’Reilly lost his marker to head home.

Further chances fell to Vale, Tinson and Newby however Wilberfoss went in at half time with a 2-0 lead.

The second half started the same way the first had ended with Foss in control with Newby playing in a slightly deeper role due to the injury to Willoughby and regularly finding both Vale and Houlder in advanced positions.

On the hour mark Brian Walker welcomed back the returning Tom Chelin who replaced Carl Womersley at left back having been side lined for a couple of months with injury. Shortly after centre back James Howat was unlucky not to score from a corner and from the resulting counter attack Foss goalkeeper Cole made a smart stop at his near post to prevent Moor Lane getting back into the game. From the resulting corner however Moor Lane did snatch a goal to reduce the deficit when the ball was swung in and fell to an unmarked Moor Lane striker who lashed the ball home.

A further tactical reshuffle was needed when Haughian went off injured to be replaced by Sam Gibney. Lane continued to take the game to Foss and on the 80th minute mark got their reward. A Moor Lane corner was half cleared and from all of 30 yards their right winger hit a bullet of a shot into the top corner which sparked mass celebrations from the away side.

Foss were shell shocked having controlled the game and this was the first time this season they would have to show bouncebackability..On 84 minutes Rich Cole launched a long ball forward which O’Reilly flicked on to the feet of substitute Gibney who skilfully beat his man before providing an inch perfect ball through for the on rushing Jed Vale who calmly slotted the ball home to put Foss back in front and eventually the 3 points.

On 89 mins O’Reilly had his chance to complete his hat trick but his shot was headed cleared off the line and Houlder couldn’t turn in the rebound with this being the last notable action of the game.

After the game Brian Walker commented how thrilled he was to take 3 points but confessed the Moor Lane second goal was one worthy of gaining a point for Moor Lane however felt overall Wilberfoss fully deserved the win which takes them 6 points clear at the top of division 3.

H&n NEW LOGO 2011

Man of the Match sponsored by H&N Haulage goes to defender James Howat who produced a vocal, solid and commanding performance.

James Howat2