Foss Edge 9 Goal Thriller


Foss Edge 9 Goal Thriller

Huby FC 4-5 Wilberfoss AFC

Yew Tree Associate sponsored Wilberfoss AFC continued their fine run of form this weekend making it 8 wins out of 8, however made hard work of the victory against an improving Huby FC side.

With heavy overnight rain Brian Walkers men knew they were going to be made to work hard for any victory as it was apparent after only 5 minutes of the game the playing surface was not going to allow them to play their usual passing game.


(pictured Newby (No.5) finds right back Watt)

Walker only made one change from last weeks victory at Cawood welcoming back first choice keeper Richard Cole. Foss in their changed red strip started the game well controlling the early stages however it was Huby against the run of play who took the lead. Again like the week prior poor defending allowed the Huby FC striker through on goal and was brought down by keeper Cole resulting in a yellow card for the Foss stopper. From the resulting penalty Huby took the lead and minutes later took a 2-0 lead when their centre midfielder was not tracked and he headed home from 8 yards.

Foss were quickly back in the game though and after a scramble in the Huby box the ball fell for Newby who smashed the ball home from 12 yards to reduce the deficit. On 25 minutes Foss drew level, this time left back O’Brien curled in a teasing ball and Newby stooped low to head home the equaliser and score his 9th goal in 5 games.

5 minutes later poor defending again let in the Huby striker who cooly finished to give them a 3-2 lead. As the match swung back and forth Foss fought back, this time Wilberfoss striker Phil O’Reilly calmly finished his 5th goal since joining the club after a superb ball into the box from wide man Simon Houlder.

Foss went into the break level however were clearly disappointed with their first half performance and were further frustrated 10 minutes into the 2nd half when Huby took the lead for the fourth time in the match when a Foss goal kick was headed straight back towards their goal and the Huby striker, who was a thorn in the Wilberfoss defence all day impressively lobbed the Foss keeper from all of 35 yards to make it 4-3.

With 20 minutes to go manager Brian Walker replaced Houlder with Gibney and Foss soon hit back when a cross from the left from O’Brien was bundled home by midfielder Richard Tinson. This gave Foss the momentum, but try as they might they couldn’t force the ball home. However after 85 minutes their pressure paid with a goal that was worthy of winning any game of football. Foss broke down the right with Newby who played in substitute and Birthday Boy Ben Thompson who’s cross was half cleared by the Huby defence to Mark Willoughby who took one touch and and let fly with his left foot from 30 yards smashing the ball into the roof of the net, giving the Huby keeper no chance, which resulted in mass celebrations from the away side and secured Foss a 5-4 victory putting them 3 points clear at the top of the league.


(pictured O'Brien controls the ball watched on by Willoughby)

After the game Foss manager Brian Walker spoke of his disappointment with the first half performance and said the team must learn from individual mistakes however was thrilled with Willoughby’s late strike and felt overall Foss deserved the 3 points.



Man of the Match sponsored by The FES Group went to Kieron O’Brien with a cultured performance at left back providing 2 assists