Foss ‘Storm’ on in treacherous weather conditions


Foss ‘Storm’ on in treacherous weather conditions


Cawood FC 2-3 Wilberfoss AFC

Yew Tree Associate sponsored Wilberfoss AFC continued their impressive run of results with a spirited 3-2 victory over title rivals Cawood FC on Saturday.

Brian Walkers men travelled to the Selby club in high spirits following their previous victory of the same side 1 week previous and welcomed back Phil O’Reilly to the side following injury with Jono Parkin also returning in goal for the unavailable Rich Cole. Both players when straight into Walkers starting 11 as a slight reshuffle was made.

Losing the Toss Foss’ played in to the driving wind first half and found it difficult to play any real football in the opening minutes as the conditions played havoc. The game sprung into life on 15 minutes when a superb inswinging corner wasn’t dealt with by the Cawood defence and a goalline scramble resulted in the Cawood defence finally managing to clear the ball to safety.

On 20 minutes Cawood opened the scoring. With a suspicion of offside the Cawood winger was played through who calmly slotted the ball home. Foss regrouped and were level within 5 minutes. A long ball forward by left back O’Brien was not dealt with by the Cawood defence and the ball fell kindly to the Wilberfoss Captain Newby who left fly from 20 yards to draw Foss’ level.

Cawood soon took the lead again only moments later however the goal was once again controversial. Cawood won a corner from a ball forward to their striker, who, although was dealt with by the Foss defence was standing in an offside positon. The referee failed to spot this and from the resulting corner Cawood FC once again took the lead after a scramble in the 6 yard box.

This really sparked Foss into life and saw them produce some of their best passing football of the season which in driving sleet and snow showed the ability manager Brian Walker has at his disposal. Willoughby and Newby constantly looking to play forward passes and regularly stretching the Cawood defence. It was the former of these two players who got Wilberfoss back on level terms when he jinxed past 2 Cawood defences just inside their penalty area to fire home on 35 minutes. Just on the stroke of half time both O’Reilly and Vale could and probably should of given Foss the lead but the teams went in level exactly the same 2-2 score line as the previous week.

With the winding dying and the sun starting to shine Foss took the game to their opponents in the second half with Howat & Haughian marshalling the Foss defence. Chances again fell to Vale, Newby and Houlder but they couldn’t make them count however it was only a matter of time before Foss scored their third. On 75 minutes right back Neil Watt over lapped Newby on the right who played him in and his inch perfect cross found the towering leap of target man Phil O’Reilly who rose to power home a header and give Wilberfoss a thoroughly deserved lead.

The victory continued Foss’ 100% league record and put down another marker for the chasing pack. The score didn’t quite tell the full story with Foss missing 2 or 3 really good opportunities however manager Brian Walker was delighted with the 3 points and commented ‘I was thrilled with the spirit and character shown once again having been behind twice in the game. The lads adapted to my changes and in some of the worst footballing weather condition I have ever experienced I am delighted to take 3 more points.’

Finnies logo

Man of the Match sponsored by Finnies Chartered Accounts went to Foss captain Newby who was instrumental in all of Foss’ forward play and capped a good performance with a fine goal.