Vale Double Fires Foss’ To Top Spot

Vale Double Fires Foss’ To Top Spot



Yew Tree Associates sponsored Wilberfoss AFC finally got their 2016 new year campaign under way following 6 weeks of postponements. Poor weather and waterlogged pitches meant all of the Christmas period games were cancelled and had frustrated manager Brian Walker who had guided his team to 5 wins out of 5 to be placed second in the table leading into the festive period.

The game against promotion hopefuls Cawood FC had originally been scheduled to be played at Cawood however their pitch was not playable so the fixture was reversed to The Storking Lane Ground.

Manager Walker only had two absentees with Phil O’Reilly missing with a hamstring injury and Robin Walker withdrawing with a groin injury. However with the lengthy break between fixtures this enabled Walker to welcome back Keiron O’Brien and Simon Houlder to first team following injury.

Wilberfoss started brightly with winger Sam Gibney and lone striker Jed Vale looking dangerous and causing the Cawood FC defence regular problems with their movement and pace with both players going close with efforts saved by the goalkeeper.


(Pictured - Skipper Newby (No.8) exchanges a pass with Mark Willoughby)

It was however Cawood who broke the deadlock on 15 minutes with their first attack and following a mix up in the Foss’ defence their striker slotted the ball home. Within the 20 minute mark the game was level when some neat work in the middle of the park from Tinson and Willoughby released Newby in a pocket of space whose precise pass played in Vale to smash the ball home left footed from a tight angle.

Wilberfoss could and should have taken the lead on two occasions the most notable when Newby fed Willoughby to fire over from 20 yards, however it was Cawood who again took the lead on 30 minutes. Again a poor clearance allowed the Cawood right winger to nip in and calmly slot the ball home past helpless keeper Cole. The goal only spurred Walkers troops on who upped their game and produced an equaliser on 35 minutes when good play by left back Kieron O’Brien played in Newby who drove 40 yards down the left wing before cutting inside to set up the oncoming Willoughby who this time made no mistake and fired home from 12 yards.

At half time gaffer Brian Walker stressed the importance to keep playing football and pressing high and made the first change of the game bringing on the returning Houlder in place of Carl Womersley. Houlder was to lead the line with Vale reverting to his more favoured winger position. Houlder and Vale were both involved with Foss’ third goal when the ball fell to Newby who beat his man and Foss captain fired home in off the post to give Foss the lead.


(Pictured - Houlder (No.14) goes close with a header)

From then on Wilberfoss dominated the game and played some superb football with full backs Watt and O’Brien looking to get forward at every opportunity with Tinson marshalling the midfield sitting just in front of the back four. The game was put to bed on 75 minutes when substitute Ben Thompson who had just replaced Watt at right back placed a delightful ball in behind the Cawood left back that Si Houlder cleverly flicked on into the path of Vale who finished what he had started with goal number 2 for him and Foss’ fourth.

After the game Manager Brian Walker spoke of his delight of the character shown to come back having been behind twice in the game. The result sent Wilberfoss AFC to the top of the League following previous leaders Moor Lanes defeat.


Man of the Match – Sponsored by Daniel Gath Homes went to Richard Tinson who regularly broke up play and started many Foss attacks with his desire to win the ball back.