Foss’ show ‘Moor’ cutting edge to see off Lane

Moor Lane 2 – 4 Wilberfoss AFC

Foss’ show ‘Moor’ cutting edge to see off Lane


Yew Tree Associates sponsored Wilberfoss AFC travelled to table toppers Moor Lane on Saturday hoping to maintain their 100% league record. Manager Brian Walker was forced into three changes with Keiron O’Brien struggling with a calf injury and both James Haughian & Joe Drydal unavailable. Robin Walker returned at the heart of the defence in replace of Haughian, with Sam Gibney replacing Drydal on the right wing and Jacob Allen promoted from the reserves at left back.

With the British weather taking its toll over the previous week, the Lane’ pitch was not in its best condition and with a strong gale blowing straight down the middle of the pitch from right to left Foss’ new it would be vital to win the toss. Unfortunately the toss was lost however surprisingly the Moor Lane captain decided to play with the wind in the first half which after 10 minutes of pressure this choice looked to have been a good one. Wilberfoss gave away a silly free kick 25 yards from goal and from the resulting free kick the Moor Lane players free kick cannoned of the angle of post and bar and out to safety. The free kick proved to be a ‘Sighter’ as only 5 minutes later from a similar position the same player stepped up and smashed the ball into the top corner which keeper Rich Cole could do nothing about.

Foss from then on were solid and defended well as a unit knowing that the wind was always going to be in favour of Lane in the first half and the aim was to keep the score to 1-0. Walker & Howat as centre backs dealt with everything thrown at them and the midfield three of Tinson, Willoughby & Newby broke up a lot of play and frustrated Lane. The wind prevented Foss using their outlets in Vale & Gibney with O’Reilly working tirelessly as a lone striker. Wilberfoss should however have gone into the break level when Watt released Gibney down the right who produced a superb ball into the box that fell to the arriving Tinson, as the ball got stuck under his feet it fell to Newby 12 yards out who was unable to adjust his body and his shot flew past the upright.

At half time gaffer Walker was happy with the first half performance and was keen to stress the importance of trying to play football with the wind. Walker made one change at the break bringing on the returning Wormersley for Allen at left back and Newby was pushed forward to partner O’Reilly in a traditional 4-4-2. Within 5 minutes the changed worked, Willoughby jinxed past his opposite number and fed Newby whose flick put O’Reilly through and the experienced striker fired home from a tight angle. Moments later Willoughby this time fed Jed Vale on the left who was causing the Moor Lane right back a headache and his superb in swinging cross landed on the head of Newby to put Foss 2-1 up. On the hour mark Foss made it 3-1 when Vale again beat his man and delivered another dangerous ball onto the 6 yard box which O’Reilly duly slotted into the bottom corner.

From making the game safe at 3-1 Wilberfoss took complete control, Walker made the changes with Ben Thompson replacing Gibney on the right & Meredith coming on to replace Robin Walker. That man Willoughby was constantly pulling the strings and this time spotted a late run from Newby and his inch perfect ball allowed Newby to take the ball first time and lift the ball over the advancing keeper to make it 4-1. With a minute to go Moor Lane pulled a goal back when keeper Cole slipped taking a goal kick and the ball ricocheted of a Lane forward and rolled into the empty net to make it 4-2.

Next week Foss travel the Bubwith FC looking to continue their fine run.

Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 17.44.18

Man of the Match sponsored by Classic Volks – Richard Tinson – another close call this week but ‘Tino’ won the vote, constantly breaking up play and covering every blade of grass.