‘Foss hit nine in dominant cup win


Wilberfoss AFC 9 v 1 Filey Town 3rds 


‘Foss hit nine in dominant cup win


Saturday afternoon saw Yewtree Associates sponsored Wilberfoss AFC host seaside opponents in the first round of the East Riding Junior Country Cup. It was another week of change in the ‘Foss lineup as they searched for a return to winning ways.

It turned out to be a comfortable afternoon with goals flowing at regular intervals throughout the match for the hardworking home side. Having settled into the match and controlled the early exchanges it was free scoring centre back Walker who broke the deadlock after 10 minutes, heading in from close range after a Gibney free kick was spilled by the Filey keeper. 2-0 followed soon after from a Watt corner as Willoughby picked up a loose ball in the box to turn and drive left footed past the hapless keeper. 3-0 arrived on 25 minutes as Meredith grabbed his first goal for the club at the second attempt. Impressive youngster Drydal had a hand in the next two ‘Foss goals, first running on to a Houlder slide rule pass to calmly slot in for 4-0 before running the length of the pitch to put Meredith’s second on a plate. 5-0 and ‘Foss looking very comfortable at half time.

The second half started much the same as the first with ‘Foss controlling play. O’Brien thought he’d made it 6-0 from the penalty spot after 55 minutes only for the referee to order a retake; Meredith, keen to complete his hat-trick, was adjudged to have encroached into the box. The Filey keeper had started the second half in sparkling form and did well to save the retake high to his left. ‘Foss weren’t to be denied their sixth for too long however as Gibney’s cross was only half cleared and skipper Newby placed into the bottom corner. Filey managed to get a consolation goal back to make it 6-1 after 70 minutes, ‘Foss failing to clear their lines and the Filey forward placed under keeper Cole. Subs Newman, Thompson and Aitken were all given time to impress in the second half as ‘Foss continued to find the net. The changes allowed Haughian to revert back to his familiar forward role and it was from his flick that Houlder made it 7-1 before he got in on the action himself with his left foot for 8-1. A perfectly weighted through ball from Newby allowed Houlder to finish the match with two goals as ‘Foss pushed all the way to the final whistle, the game ending 9-1.

Man of the Match  – Sam Gibney – Many contenders for man of the match this week but winger Gibney collected the accolade having given his defender a torrid afternoon.