‘Foss denied by late Rufforth flurry’



‘Foss denied by late Rufforth flurry’ reports I. Cappleman

Rufforth United 3 v 0 Wilberfoss AFC

Yewtree Associates sponsored Wilberfoss AFC made several changes to their match day squad for the team’s second league match of the season as injuries and other commitments forced the withdrawal of skipper Newby, goalkeeper Cole and forward Houlder. On the plus side ‘Foss were able to name three of last year’s U19 team within the squad.

In a largely uneventful but fiercely fought first half, chances for either side were at a premium. A body line Willoughby block 20 minutes in from a dangerous free kick being the closest the home team came to taking the lead. ‘Foss saved their best move for the half hour mark as Gibney skinned his full back before stinging the keepers hand with a drilled effort. Foss were forced into one change as the goalless half drew to a close, Watt taking to the field to replace the pulled up Chelin.

Rufforth started the second half strongly but wasted two good opportunities before the hour mark, both efforts failing to trouble Bruce in goal. The ‘Foss cause wasn’t helped when sub Watt and central defender Howatt both had to be replaced due to injury before 65 minutes were on the clock. The returning Drydal along with Wormsley took their places with manager Walker having to re-jig positions to bolster the depleted defence. ‘Foss had arguably their best effort of the half shortly after, skipper on the day O’Brien forcing the home keeper into a diving save from a free kick that had been won cleverly by Haughian.

Rufforth continued to push for the breakthrough goal and only the underside of the crossbar and a good stop from Bruce kept the game level. As the final ten minutes approached ‘Foss had a strong penalty claim waved away by the referee, only to see the resulting Rufforth breakaway lead to a looped cross that luckily found its way into the far corner to break the deadlock. The bodyblow was tough for a depleted ‘Foss and Rufforth found two further goals in the last five minutes to add gloss to the result. ‘Foss man of the match was closely fought between league debutant McCallister and Willoughby and it was the latter that took the spoils.