Cup upset, ‘Dunn All Over’ by Foss – Mike Morris Cup Victory

Yew Tree Assosciate sponsored Wilberfoss AFC last night regained the Mike Morris Cup against local rivals Dunnington FC in a toughly contested final held at The Balk, Pocklington


It was an eagerly anticipated game with 4 former Dunnington players signing for Brian Walkers team over the summer which added further spice to the local rivalry. Of those 4 players who made the summer switch both Mark Willoughby and Lee Pallender were missing from the squad which Walker had at his disposal.

The 16 man squad chosen proved the strength in depth the 1st team squad offers and Walker decided to go with mainly the team that had impressively disposed of Howden AFC the previous Saturday. The only changes being former Dunnington FC player Keiron O’Brien coming in to the central midfield for Willoughby and James Haughian coming in for Mark Jones who had player 24 hours earlier played for the Reserves.

Both teams cancelled each other out for the first 20 minutes with Newby and O’Brien getting very little time to get on the ball with Dunnington squeezing all space and playing a high line. This was always going to be risky with the pace of Houlder upfront and after 25 minutes he broke the off side trap to bring a good save from the Dunnington keeper. From the resulting corner O’Brien swung in a teasing corner that the Dunnington defence couldn’t deal with and Robin Walker popped up to score his 3rd goal in 3 games.

Chances continued to be created at both ends with Tom Chelin having to deal with pace of the Dunnington left winger who has been drafted in from Pickering Town and causing regular problems. On 35 minutes the Dunnington keeper dealt with a pass back poorly, mis-kicking the ball to Jono Parkin 35 yards from goals, with one touch Parkin set himself and fired in a goal of the season contender to put the Foss boys in control. Right on half time Houlder should of made it 3-0 but the Dunnington keeper made up for his previous mistake with a brilliant save.

In to the second half Foss started slowly with Dunnington piling on the pressure but the defensive pairing of Howat and Walker again proved strong. On 70 minutes the Dunnington right winger and former Wilberfoss player Danny Aston broke down the right and his cross come shot looped into the top corner to get Dunnington back into the game.

On 75 minutes Foss broke away and a cross from the left broke to that man Parkin again, who caressed the ball into the bottom right had corner of the net to make it 3-1. Straight from the kick off Dunnington attacked and a ball was played into their centre forward who is known for going to ground easily and the referee bought it, giving a very soft penalty. He soon picked himself up and slotted the penalty home to make it 3-2.

With 10 minutes to go Dunnington continued to press forward but it was in vain as Foss again broke and Simon Houlder popped up at the far post to make the game safe and a goal he very much deserved for his efforts making the game 4-2.

Captain Oliver Newby and Assistant Manager Ben Watson were presented the trophy by Ian Daniels of Pocklington Town to give the new look Wilberfoss FC their first piece of silverware of the year.


After the game manager Brian Walker spoke of his delight to regain a trophy he has won on many occasions but more importantly the character and grit shown by the team who were under dogs going into the game. Walker again was pleased with the youngsters in the squad and the maturity they showed.

MOM – Joint – Jono Parkin for a two superb goals & Jimmy Haughian for his immense work rate off the ball.

The 1st team are in cup action again on Saturday away at Heworth Green – 2pm KO

Squad: Cole, Walker, Wormersley, Howat, Chelin, Newby, Willoughby, Turpin, Gibney, Haughian, O’Brien, Parkin, Watt, Drydal.